Thursday, January 24, 2013

Which essay did I like the most?

The essay I enjoyed reading the most was Malcolm X's "Learning to Read." Ever since I first heard his name in middle school, I was interested in learning more about him. Malcolm X was an activist who understood the horrors of this world. His beginning goes back to his time in prison, where he learned how to read. Through his efforts of copying and reading a dictionary, he improved his penmanship and vocabulary. His motivation for reading morphed into passion, where he would spend days and nights reading in his cell. "...months passed without my even thinking about being imprisoned. In fact, up to then, I never had been so truly free in my life" (Malcolm X - pg. 2). Slowly, his passion focused on the teachings of Mr. Muhammad, where he learned of the atrocities and horrors performed by evil white men. Further reading fueled his motivation for wanting to be a change in this never-ending torture of continuous exploitation. "My homemade education gave me more sensitivity to the deafness, dumbness and blindness that was afflicting the black race in America" (Malcolm X - pg. 3). Details of his motivation and passion for reading was truly inspiring. I enjoyed reading this essay because of the powerful impression it left on me, from the time I began reading until the last period on the story. His efforts of copying and writing a dictionary showed his great determination. This showed me that anyone who has the determination to do something have the ability to do it. We all have the necessary tools to learn or do something. All that is needed is the effort and determination because nothing comes for free. So the question to be asking ourselves is," how far are you willing to go to make a difference?"

1 comment: