Rose described vocational education as "...a place for
those who are just not making it, a dumping ground for the disaffected" (Rose
- p.2). Rose's teachers did not seem to equip the necessary
"inventiveness" needed to help the students in the vocational
education program. As a result, students fail to learn true job skills such as
effective communication and problem-solving. This leads students to be
frustrated and care less about studying and challenging themselves. "I did
what I had to do to get by, and I did it with half a mind" (Rose - p. 2) Intellectually,
Rose claims that in his time in Voc. Ed., he "developed further into a
mediocre student and a somnambulant problem solver" (Rose - p. 2). Rose
and his friends were given assignments to keep them busy, rather than help them
improve. Emotionally, I believe the
students were unstable. I believe that Rose and his friends wanted to be
acknowledged by their teachers however, with the passive staff, students became
unresponsive. Socially, I believe this program brought the students together
because they understood each other. They shared the same situation and
feelings. "School can be a tremendously disorienting place" (Rose - p.
3). No matter which school we go to, we will always be surrounded with people,
students or teachers, who do not agree with our opinions or beliefs. To lessen
this constant blanket of pressure, some students block out all the noise and
allow their minds to roam freely. However, Ken Harvey and other students
"...protect themselves from such suffocating madness by taking on with a
vengeance the identity implied in the vocational track" (Rose - p. 3).
This narrative caught my attention from the beginning. I
noticed the formality of the story, however I also noticed the informal part. I
was able to see some personality in this writing. The personality in the paper
did not appear too much, but in the events that added emphasis to the main
purpose of Rose's narrative, it was clearly evident. I want my paper to follow
the organization and structure of the previous narratives we read and insert
some of my personality as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment